Changing the Timestamp Server for Digital Signatures
This information applies to the following project types:
- Basic MSI
- InstallScript MSI
- InstallScript Object
- Merge Module
When you specify digital signature information for a release, InstallShield uses VeriSigns server (http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll) as the default timestamp server during builds. InstallShield includes a machine-wide setting that lets you replace that default server with a different timestamp server. The setting also lets you disable timestamping.
The following instructions require that you modify the Settings.xml file that is installed with InstallShield. This file contains critical data; if it is edited incorrectly, it can cause InstallShield to fail to work. Use extreme care when editing this file.
To configure the timestamp server for digital signatures:
- Close InstallShield.
- Find the Settings.xml file that is installed with InstallShield. Settings.xml is installed in one of the following locations, depending on which language version of InstallShield you are using:
- EnglishInstallShield Program Files Folder\Support\0409
- JapaneseInstallShield Program Files Folder\Support\0411
- Create a back-up copy of the Settings.xml file, in case you later need to revert to the original version.
- Use a text editor or XML file editor to open the Settings.xml file.
- Search for the <DigitalSignature> element. It looks something like this:
- To override the timestamp server with a different one, set the value of the Timestamp attribute to the appropriate URL.
To disable timestamping, use an empty value for the Timestamp attribute:
Disabling timestamping may affect how long your digital signature is considered to be valid.
- Save the Settings.xml file.
- Ensure that your XML code is well formed; if it is not well formed, you may have problems using InstallShield. In most cases, you can identify improperly formed XML code by opening the Settings.xml file in Internet Explorer. You should be able to expand and contract the major elements of the file; if you cannot, check the code for errors.
Whenever you build a release that includes digital signature information, InstallShield sets the timestamp according to the setting that you configured.
If you use the Standalone Build to build a release, update the Settings.xml file that is installed with the Standalone Build. Settings.xml is installed in one of the following locations, depending on which language version of InstallShield you are using:
- EnglishStandalone Build Program Files Folder\Support\0409
- JapaneseStandalone Build Program Files Folder\Support\0411
Digital Signing and Security